Working on my sermon for this week and it occurred to me how many ways there are to kill a church. Here are just a few that I have identified:
- Attack the leadership – the congregation’s problems are all their fault.
- Make every issue about you and them, not us.
- Never, ever, under any circumstance, volunteer to help.
- Criticize everyone who does volunteer to help.
- Compare your congregation to one that is bigger, wealthier, in a larger community that has far more resources.
- Be sure to be offended by every effort to grow – both spiritually and numerically, and be sure to let everyone else know just how offended you are.